The Song Memory on a RX21 is separate from the Pattern Memory and is capable of storing up to four different songs (numbered 0 through 3). A total of 512 parts (Pattern calls and Repeat commands, in any combination) are allocated to these four Songs.
Basic Song Assembly:
1) Press the [PLAY] Song function button. The LCD will display the words 'SELECT SONG s'.
NOTE: Song mode cannot be entered while a Pattern is playing or being written.
2) Enter the number for the desired Song (0 - 3) using the Numeric keys. The 's' in the the 'SELECT SONG' parameter display will change to the number of the desired Song.
3) Press the [SONG WRITE] button to enter Edit mode. The LCD will display 'PART 001 = PTN **'
4) Enter the desired Pattern number for Part 1 using the Numeric keys. The number for the selected Pattern will replace the '**' (double asterisks) displayed on the LCD.
5) Press the [+1/YES]button to add the selected Pattern to the Song.
NOTE: The LCD will move forward to the next Part and display 'PART 002 = PTN **'. This process is repeated until the last part of the Song has been entered. Any of the 100 patterns stored in the RX21's memory, regardless of their Time Signature, can be assembled into a Song.
TIP: Any of the RX21 preset ''Break'' or blank Patterns (56 through 59) can be used to to enter breaks into a Song. To lengthen a break, press the [REPEAT] button and the blank Pattern will be duplicated. The existing blank preset Patterns are Preset 56 (1/4 measure), Preset 57 (2/4 measure), Preset 58 (3/4 measure), and Preset 59 (4/4 measure).
6) Press the [SONG PLAY] button after all Patterns have been entered to play back the Song in the usual manner.
Song Edit Options:
To insert a Part while in Edit mode:
1) Press the [-1/NO] or the [+1/YES] button to locate the last of the two Parts between which the desired Part will be inserted.
EXAMPLE: If the desired Part is to be inserted between Parts 2 and 3, Part 3 should be selected. The original Part 3 and any subsequent Parts will be automatically moved up by one Part.
2) Press the [INSERT] button. The LCD will display 'INSERT PART...' followed by the number of the selected Part.
3) Press the [+1/YES] button. The LCD will display the Part Number for the new Part that is to be inserted and a blank Pattern '**' parameter.
4) Enter the number for the desired Pattern using the Numeric keys.
5) Playback Song, or continue editing.
To delete a Part while in Edit mode:1) Press the [-1/NO] or the [+1/YES] button to locate the Part to be deleted.
2) Press the [DELETE] button. The LCD will display the prompt message 'DELETE PART...' followed by the number for the selected Part.
3) Press the [+1/YES] button to confirm the deletion of the Part, or [-1/NO] button to cancel the operation.
NOTE: Any subsequent Parts will be automatically moved back by one Part when a Part is deleted.
To Repeat a Part in Edit mode: NOTE: The Repeat function in Edit mode can save programming time by making it possible to repeat any Parts or group of Parts up to 99 times.
1) Press the [-1/NO] or the [+1/YES] button to locate the Part to be repeated.
2) Press the [REPEAT] button. The LCD will display 'II: (0) or :II (1)?' prompting the user to insert a Begin Repeat sign ( II: ) by pressing '0' or an End Repeat sign ( :II ) by pressing '1' using the Numeric keys.
3) Press '0' using the Numeric keys to enter the 'Begin Repeat' sign. The LCD will display 'II: PART..." followed by the number of the Part that will be repeated.
4) Press the [-1/NO] or the [+1/YES] buttons to go to the next Part to be repeated or proceed to Step 5.
5) Press the [REPEAT] button to access the Begin Repeat and End Repeat options.
6) Press '1' using the Numeric keys to enter the 'End Repeat' sign. The LCD display will display the the Part number, the End Repeat sign, the multiplication symbol, and the number to times the part will be repeated: 'PART 00X :II X 01'.
7) Enter any two-digit number from 02 to 99 for desired number of repeats for the selected Part(s).
8) Press the [+1/YES] button to confirm the number of repeats.
To delete a Repeat in Edit mode:1) Press the [-1/NO] or the [+1/YES] button to locate the Repeat to be deleted.
NOTE: The Repeat will be identified in the LCD by the three-digit Part number and the Repeat Sign.
2) Press the [DELETE] button.
Reference: Owner's Manual, p. 26-33