The Real Time Write programming method enables the user to play a rhythm on the instrument keys, continually adding new instruments and rhythm lines until the new Pattern is complete.
Push the [ON/OFF]
switch located on the rear panel of the RX21 to the 'ON' position to turn the unit on and access Pattern mode. The LCD panel will display 'SELECT PTN 00' and the cursor will be flashing on the right side of the display. NOTE: Pattern mode is the initial default mode when the RX21 is initially turned on. 2)
Select a Pattern by pressing the [-1/NO]
or the [+1/YES]
button, or enter a Pattern number directly where the new Pattern will be written. NOTE: Only Pattern numbers 00 through 55 can be selected for programming. Patterns 56 through 99 are permanent preset patterns that cannot be re-programmed. Preset Patterns, however, can be used as a template, or starting point, to produce new Patterns. 3)
Press the [REAL TIME WRITE]
button to enter Real Time Write mode. The LCD will display 'REAL L=//,Q=1/qq' ('//' indicates the Pattern length, 'qq' indicates the Quantize rate) 4)
Press the [BEAT]
button. The LCD will display 'LENGTH=// /16' with the cursor flashing to the right of the length number. NOTE: The RX21 measures Patterns in sixteenth notes. A bar of 4/4 time, therefore, would be indicated by a setting of 16/16 (sixteen sixteenth notes per bar). The following chart indicates the relationship between Length settings and Time Signatures.
LENGTH SETTING (// /16)
||3/4 or 6/8
5) Press the [-1/NO] or the [+1/YES] button to enter the desired Pattern length.
Reference: Owner's Manual, p. 11-14
6) Press the [BEAT] button, again, to access the Quantize rate options. The LCD will display 'QUANTIZE=1/qq'.
NOTE: In Real Time Write mode, Quantizing is an error correcting function. If timing is a little off while using the instrument keys, the off-time beats will be recorded at the nearest quantized beat. While simpler rhythms can be entered more accurately and rapidly using the lower quantize rates (1/12 or 1/16), for more subtle rhythms it is recommended that a higher quantize rate (1/32 or 1/24) be selected.
7) Press the [-1/NO]or the [+1/YES] button to scroll through the available Quantize options until the desired number is selected.
8) Press the [BEAT] button to return to the main Real Time Write mode. The new Real Time Write settings will be displayed.
9) Press the red [START] button to begin recording the new Pattern. If '00' was chosen as the selected Pattern, the LCD will display 'PTN 00 RECORDING' and the cursor will be moving from left to right once every measure.
NOTE: Regardless of the length of the pattern, the ''click track'' rhythm accents will be heard at the start of each group of four sixteenth notes (every quarter note beat). The first beat of each bar will also be accented. The RX21 will continue cycling through the full length of the Pattern.
10) Play the desired instrument keys to be a part of the new Pattern and, if desired, tap the [ACCENT] button to enter accents.
NOTE: Single notes and accents can be cleared by holding down the [CLEAR] button and tapping the appropriate instrument button at the timing of the note or accent that is to be cleared. To eliminate an instrument from the entire pattern, continue to hold the [CLEAR] down for the entire length of the pattern while pressing the appropriate instrument button.
11) Press the [STOP/CONTINUE] to end recording.
NOTE: The Pattern can be modified at any time by simply selecting the Pattern, entering Real Time Write mode, pressing the [START] button, and utilizing the writing/clearing functions used when the Pattern was created. The length of the programmed Pattern, however, CANNOT be changed. The Quantize rate can only be changed by using the Beat Exchange function.