Creating a User Style
The following procedure describes how to create a User Style from scratch. This is useful when the CVP does not have a built-in Style which fits the style of music that the user wants to play. Creating a User Style from scratch is also useful to create custom drum accompaniments.
A Style can be created completely from scratch by first selecting 'NEW STYLE' from the 'BASIC' section of 'STYLE CREATOR', then recording to the 8 Auto Accompaniment Channels (Tracks) for the Style.
NOTE: Yamaha Style Disks (Auto Accompaniments) are available for purchase online at www.yamahamusicsoft.com. To order by phone, call Music Dispatch at (800) 637-2852. Ask for the Hal Leonard Music Software Catalog.
Selecting a New Style:
1) Press the [DIGITAL RECORDING] button. Located in the FUNCTION MENU
2) Press the [B] 'STYLE CREATOR' button.
3) Press the [C] 'NEW STYLE' button.
4) Press the [B] button and use the toggle buttons beneath the screen to select a
'TEMPO' and a 'BEAT' (meter) for the Style.
EXAMPLE: TEMPO '120' and BEAT '4/4'.
5) Press the [A] button and use the toggle buttons beneath the screen to select
an Auto Accompaniment 'SECTION' and 'PATTERN LENGTH' (amount of
measures) for the Style.
EXAMPLE: SECTION 'MAIN A' and PATTERN LENGTH '1'.
If desired, copy Parts from any existing Styles into the 8 different Channels (Tracks) of the new Style. (If all Parts are to be recorded from scratch, this step may be skipped.)
1) Press the [TAB>] button to display the 'ASSEMBLY' page in the screen.
2) The [A] - [D] and [F] - [I] buttons correspond to the 8 Parts that make up the
Style (RHYTHM1, RHYTHM2, BASS, CHORD1, CHORD2, PAD, PHRASE1,
and PHRASE2). To select a Part in an existing Style, press one of the [A] - [D]
or [F] - [I] buttons twice; the chosen Part may then be selected from any of the
existing Styles, using the [A] - [J] buttons.
EXAMPLE: The RHYTHM2 Part from the Style, '60'sGtrPop' may be used for the RHYTHM2 Part in the New Style.
3) Press the [EXIT] button to return to the 'ASSEMBLY' page.
4) Repeat steps 2 - 3 for the remaining 7 Parts of the Style, if desired.
5) Press the [TAB<] button to return to the 'BASIC' page.
Recording an original Part onto a Channel from scratch:
1) Press the [F] 'REC CH' button to display the 8 Record Channels in the screen.
2) Select a Channel for recording by simultaneously holding the [F] 'REC CH'
button, while pressing one of the 8 [v] toggle buttons below the screen.
EXAMPLE: The 'RHY2' Channel will display 'REC' in the screen, when selected.
3) Select a Voice or Drum Kit for the Channel by first pressing the [^] toggle
button below it, and then using the [A] - [J] and toggle buttons to make a
4) Press the [EXIT] button to return to the 'BASIC' screen.
5) Press the black [START/STOP] button in the 'STYLE' section of the front
panel. Recording begins and the Metronome click is heard.
6) Play the desired Part on the keyboard.
7) If a mistake is made while recording a Rhythm Part, hold the [E] 'RHY CLEAR'
button and touch the note corresponding to the Drum Voice which was played
incorrectly; the entire phrase recorded with that Drum Voice will be cleared.
8) When finished, press the black [START/STOP] button again.
9) Repeat steps 2 - 8 to record other Channels.
10) When finished recording all Channels, press the [EXIT] button once to return
to the original 'BASIC' screen view.
Saving the User Style:
1) Press the [I] 'SAVE' button to select a destination for storing the User Style.
2) Use the [TAB<] and [TAB>] buttons to display the 'USER', ' or ‘USB1’
3) Press the '6' [v] toggle button to name the User Style.
4) Use the toggle buttons to select the characters for the User Style name.
5) When finished, press the '8' [^] 'OK' toggle button. The User Style is now
6) Press the [EXIT] button twice to return to the 'MAIN' screen.