IMPORTANT: Yamaha has determined that the following information is commonly used. Therefore, your feedback is helpful. Please use the buttons to answer the question that is at the end of this document. Requests for further help will receive a response. Thank you for helping Yamaha's on-going efforts to provide useful online technical support.
The requirements are as follows:
- A Yamaha MIDI equipped device with MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports.
- A PC or Mac computer with a USB port.
- A USB MIDI interface (Purchased separately). The USB MIDI interface usually includes a USB cable, the USB MIDI interface, and USB MIDI drivers for PC and MAC. Yamaha currently manufactures the UX16, a single port USB MIDI interface (Compatible with Windows 98 or Mac OS 8.5 or higher).
- Connect the system:
- Connect the USB cable into the USB port on the PC or Mac.
- Connect the other end of the cable to the USB port on the MIDI interface (if so equipped).
- Connect a MIDI cable to the MIDI OUT port on the MIDI interface and connect the other end of the cable to the MIDI IN port on the Yamaha MIDI instrument.
- Connect a second MIDI cable to the MIDI IN port on the MIDI interface and connect the other end of the cable to the MIDI OUT port on the Yamaha MIDI instrument.
NOTE: The Yamaha UX16 does not require separate MIDI cables as it has them buitlt in as [art of the interface. See picture on the product page: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/accessories/usb-midi/ux16/?mode=model