In this article we will edit one of the preset performances to demonstrate how to enable a Layer (Part) to be controlled with an FC-7 expression pedal. We will start by selecting one of the factory Performances, Urban Shuffle, User bank 1, # 6. In this example we will enable the Foot controller only in part 3 to allow us to bring the Electric Piano in and out with the FC7.
The FC1 jack should already be assigned to volume. (These instructions also work for the FC2 jack, the FC2 is not assigned to volume.)
1) Plug the FC-7 into the Foot Controller 1 (or Foot Controller 2) jack.
IMPORTANT: *** Do not plug the FC7 in to the Jacks marked Footswitch; it will not work! ****
2) Press the [VOICE] button.
3) Press the [UTILITY] button
4) Press the [F3] and [SF3] buttons.
5) Using the cursor buttons (underneath the dial), navigate to 'Foot Controller1 Control No (or Foot Controller 2)' .
6) Turn the [DATA] dial till the number '11' appears.
7) Press the [STORE] button to save the change.
Choosing Which Parts Will be Effected by the Pedal
1) Press the [PERFORMANCE] button to get to Performance Mode.
2) Press the [EDIT] button.
3) Press the [TRACK] button.
4) Press the TRACK  button.
5) Press the [F6] button.
6) Use the cursor buttons to navigate to 'FOOT CONTROLLER 1 (OR 2)'.
6a) Since this part IS going to be effected, turn the [DATA] dial so that a red check appears in the box. The pedal is set to 'ON'. Then cursor to 'EXP' and turn the [DATA] dial so it also so a red check appears in the box. This is set to 'ON'.
7) For each part that is NOT going to be effected, press the corresponding PART numbers (, , and ) and repeat Steps 6 and 6a, now switching the 'FOOT CTRL 1' and the 'EXP' to an empty box: Empty is 'OFF'.
NOTE: From the initialized state, the default is 'ON'. However, if starting from an existing Performance, it could be set either way. Check each active Part to avoid unexpected results.
8) Press the [STORE] button, then press the [ENTER] and [YES] buttons twice (2X) to save the changes.