NOTE: Sonar X3 does not pass MIDI data from MIDI tracks through the VST Editor to the MOXF, or from the MOXF through the VST Editor to the MIDI track. To bypass this the MIDI tracks will be assigned to the driver MIDI out and not to the VST instrument.
1. Install the Yamaha-Steinberg USB driver found here
2. In the Sonar X3 menu open Edit > Preferences.
3. Click on Audio > Devices
4. Set the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO as the input and output audio device.
5. Click MIDI > Devices.
6. Check Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8-1 in Inputs and Outputs. Uncheck all other MOXF ports.
7. Click File > VST Settings.
8. Click Add.
9. Locate the directory - c:\program files\common files\vst3
10. Click OK.
11. In the Sonar X3 menu select Insert > Soft Synth > VST3 > External > MOXF6/MOXF8 VST.
12. In the "Insert Soft Synth Options" window uncheck all except MIDI Source in "Create These Tracks" options.
13. In the VST Editor Auto Sync settings set MIDI In and out for Port 4 to "MOXF6/MOXF8-4". Leave MIDI Out Port 1 to "Not Assigned".
14. Assign the output of the MIDI track to YamahaMOXF6/MOXF8-1.NOTE: assigning the output of the MIDI track to "MOXF6/MOXF8 VST" will not pass the MIDI data to the instrument.